Historic Old Main Bell removed from tower for restoration and display

Historic Old Main Bell removed from tower for restoration and display

The bell that has hung in the tower of Old Main for more than a century has been removed and preparations for its permanent display at ground level will soon begin. Penn State's class of 2009 last fall voted to have the bell removed, restored and displayed adjacent to Old Main as its gift to the University. A crane lowered the 1200-lb. bronze bell and placed it on a truck for its ultimate shipment to bell restoration specialists. It is scheduled to be returned to campus in time for an April 2010 dedication on a site near the southwest corner of Old Main.