South Food District at Redifer Dining Commons will have a splash of blue on the menu between Feb. 28 and March 4. The first ever Blueberry Blast will feature an array of nutritious blueberry items ranging from appetizers to desserts, even some recipes students can make on their own.
Through coordination with the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council, Food Services is promoting the benefits of antioxidants that blueberries carry and the ways they can improve a hungry college student’s diet. Pamphlets will be available from the council with handy facts about adding blueberries into your diet. Tips will be provided on how to find the best blueberries in the supermarket, the best methods of retaining freshness and healthy ways of including blueberries into other recipes.
Monday through Thursday, Redifer’s Blueberry Blast will offer healthy and innovative blueberry-loaded items that appeal to breakfast, dinner or treats including:
• Blueberry pancakes, oatmeal and crepes
• Blueberry mandarin and toasted walnut salad
• Blueberry dessert pizza
• Blueberry smoothies
Featured items throughout the week include:
• Fresh blueberries, blueberry topping at the waffle bar (Sunday)
• Blueberry BBQ sauce at dinner (Monday)
• Blueberry crisp with vanilla ice cream (Tuesday)
• Chilled blueberry soup at lunch and dinner (Wednesday)
• Free red white and blue parfait at dinner (Thursday)
For more information, visit http://www.foodservices.psu.edu/south/.