Penn State Historical Marker program welcomes additions

John Patishnock
September 14, 2017

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — Two new historical markers recently added to the University Park campus celebrate pioneering achievements in student broadcasting and hospitality management.

Located outside of Sparks Building along Pattee Mall, the newly installed “Student Broadcasting” historical marker touts that “Penn State has been a leader in broadcasting college radio since the Class Gift of 1912 enabled early national experiments.”

Originally called WPSC, the University’s on-campus radio station has changed names several times, with generations of students making their impacts along the way.

Currently, The LION 90.7 FM is headquartered inside the HUB and boasts new studio space that was part of the building’s expansion a few years ago.

historical marker (student broadcasting) photo

Located outside of Sparks Building along Pattee Mall, one of two new historical markers recently added to the University Park campus celebrates pioneering achievements in student broadcasting. 

IMAGE: Patrick Mansell/Penn State

A second historical marker was dedicated Aug. 17, recognizing the advancements made at Penn State in the field of “Hospitality Management.” The Penn State School of Hospitality Management produced a livestream of the ceremony, held outside Mateer Building (home to Café Laura), along Fischer Road. The marker, in part, reads “Established in 1937, Penn State’s School of Hospitality Management is one of the nation’s oldest and most respected.”

The program prepares students to become leaders and is also home to the oldest alumni program group, “The Penn State Hotel & Restaurant Society.”  



Historical markers at the University Park campus and other Penn State locations across the Commonwealth call attention to the University's rich tradition of achievement in higher education and in service to society. A formal series of blue-and-white markers was launched in 1989 by the Penn State Alumni Association and the Office of Strategic Communications. The Alumni Association funds and provides visibility and other support for the project, while the Strategic Communications office provides management services and coordinates the installation and maintenance of the markers with the Office of Physical Plant. The markers in general commemorate events and locations of broad importance to the intellectual and scientific development of Penn State as one of America's leading public universities.

For more information on additional historical markers at University Park and Penn State campuses across the Commonwealth, visit the program’s online home.

(Media Contacts)

Last Updated September 18, 2017