Libraries exhibit celebrates Creamery's 150th anniversary

August 04, 2015

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — As the Berkey Creamery continues its sesquicentennial celebration, a new exhibit on display now through Dec. 15 in the University Libraries’ Franklin Atrium offers a close view of Penn State artifacts used by employees during the Creamery’s 150-year history.

“Artifacts like containers, bottles, tools and equipment help us understand the early years of the Creamery dairy plant and the lives of the employees who worked at that time,” Tom Palchak, Creamery manager, said. “The objects not only tell a story but also show the type of materials used by past employees. These artifacts are touchstones that bring memories to life and provide us a glimpse of the Creamery’s history.”

A wide range of items on display includes an 1894 ledger book noting sales to customers with regionally prominent names, milk bottles, iterations of dairy and ice creaming containers, ice cream scoops signed by contemporary celebrity visitors to the Creamery and more.

The Franklin Atrium is in Pattee Library's central first floor, open during Pattee and Paterno Libraries’ first floor hours.

  • horizonal paper sign with two small wooden spoons and vertical hang tag

    A sign from the University Creamery and individual wooden spoons once popularly used for eating ice cream by the cup both likely precede a hang tag labeling milk as from the Berkey Creamery, so renamed in November 2000 for donors Jeanne and Earl Berkey.

    IMAGE: Penn State

(Media Contacts)

Last Updated August 24, 2015