Report examines ripple effect of job loss in electronic connector manufacturing industry

July 19, 2007

Study details role of electronic connector manufacturing in Adams, Dauphin and York counties

University Park, Pa. -- For every 100 jobs in the electronic connector manufacturing industry, an important part of the economy of Adams, Dauphin and York counties, other industries in those counties employ an additional 49 workers due to the need to supply the electronic connector manufacturing industry, according to a workforce assessment brief produced by the Workforce Assessment Center in Penn State's Office for Economic and Workforce Development, a unit of Penn State Outreach. The brief can be viewed at http://train.ed.psu.edu/brief/EconDevBrief_confman.pdf online.

Tyco Electronics in York County recently announced plans to layoff 600 employees in its East Berlin plant by June 2008. The company said that about 40 percent of those employees will be offered jobs throughout central Pennsylvania and the company's Rock Hill, S.C., facility, while the remaining 60 percent will be laid off.

The report's authors, David Passmore, professor of education at Penn State, and Rose Baker, program manager of the Workforce Assessment Center, contend that job losses in one major industry in an area have a ripple effect throughout the local economy. "The industry creates additional jobs and compensation for workers throughout Adams, Dauphin and York counties and influences tax revenues in those counties," they said in the report.

The Workforce Assessment Center produces similar briefs about other industries. Go to http://train.educ.psu.edu/brief/ for more information and to view other briefs.

* * *

The Workforce Assessment Center in the Office of Economic and Workforce Development a Penn State Outreach unit, supports the development of the workforce in Pennsylvania through the utilization of Penn State resources to conduct various types of workforce assessments for employees, industry partnerships, not-for-profit organizations and government entities. The Penn State Outreach organization is the largest unified outreach organization in American higher education. Penn State Outreach serves more than 5 million people each year, delivering more than 2,000 programs to people in all 67 Pennsylvania counties, all 50 states and 80 countries worldwide.

(Media Contacts)

Last Updated March 19, 2009