Restoration to begin on historic Old Main bell

October 08, 2009

University Park, Pa. -- The bell that has hung in the tower of Old Main for more than a century has been removed and preparations for its permanent display at ground level will soon begin. 

Penn State's class of 2009 last fall voted to have the bell removed, restored and displayed adjacent to Old Main as its gift to the University. The 138-year-old bell has not been rung since about 1937, when it was replaced as a regulator of the ebb and flow of campus life by the familiar Westminster chimes, a gift of another senior class. 

A crane lowered the 1,200-pound bronze bell and placed it on a truck for shipment to bell restoration specialists. It is scheduled to be returned to campus in time for an April 2010 dedication on a site near the southwest corner of Old Main. The bell will be rung on special occasions. 

Penn State's Office of Physical Plant worked with New Vibrations Audio and Video of Morrisdale and Church Specialties of Quarryville to undertake the removal and restoration process. 

Visit http://live.psu.edu/stilllife/2154 to see photos of the bell's removal, and /video/173519/2013/02/09/video-no-title for a brief video about the bell.

  • IMAGE: Laura Stocker Waldhier

(Media Contacts)

Last Updated November 18, 2010