Ivyside pool in Altoona

Ivyside pool in Altoona

Vintage photos of Ivyside pool in Altoona circa World War II.

Returning World War II veterans overfilled the two buildings that comprised the Altoona Undergraduate Center. In 1947, an abandoned 38-acre amusement park named Ivyside Park on the outskirts of Altoona was purchased for a new campus, which opened in 1948 with approximately 600 students and 30 faculty members. The amusement park was home to Ivyside pool, the world's largest concrete swimming pool, as well as a roller coaster and bathhouse.   

IMAGE: Courtesy of Jared Frederick