Allen Street Gates through the years

Allen Street Gates through the years

Allen Street Gates through the years

The Allen Street Gates on the campus of Penn State. The original stone gates at the foot of the mall were purchased from the Pennsylvania exhibit at the St. Louis Exposition of 1904. They supported two lions holding shields embrazoned with "Pa." which quickly became knows as "Pa" and Ma" to the students, two of the most popular landmarks on campus at the time. The lions were temporarily removed when the iron grill was installed and have since been lost. The gates were reconstructed in 1916 as a gift of the class of 1916 (top left); the road was closed to traffic circa 1924 (top right); and the iron grill added in 1930 to form a permanent barrier across the mall (bottom left). The photo in the bottom right shows the gates as they look today.

IMAGE: Penn State University Archives/Patrick Mansell
Licensing and Use