Pipe and bugle corps at Penn State, 1890s

Pipe and bugle corps at Penn State, 1890s

Pipe and bugle corps at Penn State, 1890s

This early 1890s photo shows a precursor to the famed Penn State Blue Band, one of the nation's finest college marching bands. In that era, military training was a required of all able-bodied males, and Penn State had a fife-and-drum-and-bugle corps whose purpose was primarily to set cadence to battalion marching drills and parades. The Cadet Drum and Bugle Corps formed in 1901, and by 1913 it was re-named the College Band. In this photo, the uniforms are brown; In the 1920s, they were replaced with blue uniforms, and the name "Blue Band" came into common usage.

IMAGE: Penn State University Archives
Licensing and Use