New Beaver Field, Penn State, 1924

New Beaver Field, Penn State, 1924

New Beaver Field, Penn State, 1924

New Beaver Field with its wooden grandstands is shown on Alumni Day, Oct. 25, 1924, following a clash with Syracuse, attended by more than 20,000 fans. Also visible are, from left, the original Old Main, Schwab Auditorium, Carnegie Building, the Armory and Irvin Hall. The field, located where today's Kern Building now stands, was opened in 1909 to replace "Old" Beaver Field, the site where intercollegiate athletics at Penn State began. Governor James A. Beaver in 1891 secured state funding to improve the original field, which students named in his honor. The football team played their last season at New Beaver Field in 1959, when Beaver Stadium was built on the east side of campus.

IMAGE: Penn State University Archives