Penn State Alumni Association membership grows to 174,379

As of the close of the fiscal year on June 30, the Penn State Alumni Association’s annual snapshot of membership numbers showed another year of growth, increasing from 172,732 to 174,379 -- a gain of 1,647 members or nearly 1 percent.
“Once again, our alumni and friends have rallied ’round the blue-and-white flag and generated a year of impressive membership growth,” said Executive Director Roger L. Williams. “This marks the 12th consecutive year of growth -- including a gain of nearly 9,200 members in the last three years alone -- during a time of unprecedented institutional duress. Through thick and thin, Penn Staters show a love and loyalty that are unequaled in global higher education, cementing our stature as the world’s largest dues-paying alumni association. We are forever grateful.”

Of the total membership, 108,585 are life members, up from 106,383 last fiscal year -- a gain of 2 percent. Life members now compose 62 percent of total membership, while annual members account for the remaining 38 percent. More than 9,100 members are part of the Blue & White Society, the student contingent of the Alumni Association.

Significant growth in membership also came from “associate” members -- parents of current students, spouses of Penn State alumni, friends, and other supporters who see value in the work the Alumni Association does to support the University, Williams said. Associate membership grew this past year from 22,954 to 25,078 -- a gain of 9 percent.

“When we get a vote of confidence in the form of membership for the work that we do from our alumni -- that’s tremendous,” Williams said. “When parents, students, the families of our graduates join us, that’s truly humbling. And we will continue to work day in and day out to keep their trust and to stay focused on supporting all of them and Penn State.”

There are more than 631,000 living Penn State alumni. The number of “active, addressable” alumni (all alumni for whom some contact information is available) for the year ending June 30, 2014, is 585,430. While Penn Staters live and work all over the globe, more than 40 percent of them live in five metropolitan areas: Philadelphia; Pittsburgh; Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; New York City; and Washington, D.C.

Established in 1870, the Penn State Alumni Association strives to connect alumni to the University and to each other, provide valuable benefits to members and support the University’s mission of teaching, research and service. More information about the Alumni Association and membership is available at

Media Contacts: 
Last Updated July 15, 2014