"Fertile Minds: Cultivating 150 years of Land Grant Education," a University Archives exhibit, is on display June 20 to Sept. 20, in the Hintz Alumni Center on Penn State's University Park campus.
The Morrill Land Grant Act, signed on July 2, 1862, allowed states to sell federal land in order to establish an endowment to support one or more schools in their state where: "the leading object shall be, without excluding other scientific and classical studies and including military tactics, to teach such branches of learning as are related to agriculture and mechanic arts (engineering)…in order to promote the liberal and practical education of the industrial classes in the several pursuits and professions of life."
As Pennsylvania’s land grant institution, Penn State offers courses and extra-curricular activities in agriculture, engineering, science, arts and military training. These five areas are reoccurring themes throughout this photographic exhibit that offers a timeline of the 150 years of land-grant affiliation for the University and its students.
This exhibit was co-curated by intern Kelly Frazier, a master's candidate in museum studies, and Paul Karwacki, archives assistant, Penn State University Archives.
For more information, call 814-865-7931.