Beaver Stadium Archives 003

Beaver Stadium Archives 003

Beaver Stadium found a new home on the east end of campus in 1960. The stadium is named in honor of James A. Beaver. A lawyer in nearby Bellefonte at the outbreak of the Civil War, he enlisted in the Union Army as a second lieutenant and rose to the rank of brigadier general before his discharge in 1864. Beaver, who died in 1914, served as a superior court judge, governor of Pennsylvania and president of Penn State's Board of Trustees. He is credited with being among the most influential leaders in the development of the University at the turn of the century.

Image: Penn State