Originally called the Museum of Art, the building's initial 1972 design was a three-story structure that was accessed via an entrance, at right, in what is now the Gallery Cafe.
A worker prepared an exhibition in 1972 during the inaugural year of the Museum of Art, which would later be named the Palmer Museum of Art.
The Palmer Museum of Art's original box-like structure is still visable.
The Palmer Museum of Art's bronze lion paws were the idea of architect Charles W. Moore, who oversaw the museum's renovation and expansion in 1993, and the creation of Pittsburgh sculptor Paul Bowden.
Palmer Museum of Art Director Jan Muhlert and Patrick McGrady, Charles V. Hallman Curator, discussed Severin Roesen's 'Still Life with Grapes' (circa 1860-65) at the University Park museum. To see photos of the museum through the years, click on the image above.
A marble bust (1868) of poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow by sculptor Henry Dexter looked on as Emma Farrell, a junior from York, Pa., visited the Palmer Museum of Art at the University Park campus.